PlanetCrap 6.0!
Front Page (ATOM) • Submission Bin (4) • ArchivesUsersLoginCreate Account
You are currently not logged in.
T O P I C
Scott is right...?
November 29th 2003, 08:40 CET by Matt Perkins

According to this website, Scott Miller knew Max Payne would be a success before the game was ever made...

He lists out a lot of points on that website...that may or may not be a part of the success of Max Payne.

My question is this...  
•    Is this a true method for success, has Scott worked out a guarenteed formula where no one else could?
•    Or this is 20/20 hindsight?  Is this just what Mr. Miller thinks made the game successful now that he is looking back?

And will we know the answer before his next planned success?
C O M M E N T S
Home » Topic: Scott is right...?

|«« - Previous Page - Next Page - »»|
#67 by Scott Miller
2003-11-30 16:55:21
scottmi11er@hotmail.com
>>> Still waiting for Cosmo's Cosmic 3D Adventure ...!

Seriously.  Another dev contacted us about wanting to make this game a few weeks ago.  But, I just don't think it'd do well in today's market, so it's not gonna happen.

>>> And I think that Microsoft releasing an Xbox 2 has a lot less to do with saving face than it has to do with the fact that Microsoft's history is dotted with product launches where the original didn't do so well... <<<

Yes, but these products succeed only when MS can leverage its core competitive advantage:  Windows.  (And Windows is more than a competitive advantages, it's a very rare monopolistic advantage--they truly own the OS category by an overwhelming margin.) The Xbox gains no leverage from this advantage.

Plus, people seem to think that MS will just pound away with new versions until victory is theirs.  But MS has had plenty of failures that they've given up on.  Check their history.

>>> And besides, what else is Microsoft going to do with the tens of billions of dollars in cash they are sitting on? <<<

This statement won't buy you a cup of cheap coffee.  No company can withstand the pressure from Wall Street to drop a losing venture.  As I said, had the Xbox not existed, MS's stock would be higher now because the Xbox has cost MS several pennies per share in earnings.  Investors will not tolerate this endlessly.  Soon, the pressure from Wall Street and MS's board of directors will force them to stop the bleeding.

>>> but wasn't the Duke Nukem character entirely devised by Todd Replogle?

No.  Todd and I created him together.  For example, Todd had an original idea for a futuristic game that he wanted to call Heavy Metal, I believe.  I steered the game toward the character focus, and together we worked on names until we had Duke Nukem.  He originally drew the Duke character, which I felt needed considerable reworking, and so I had an artist rework Duke, giving him his flashy smile, yellow hair, and red shirt/blue jeans.  (That artist, btw, was George Broussard before he joined Apogee as my partner.)  I had a lot more to do with that game, such as designing all of the shareware levels, all the sound effects, and most of the game's story text (such as when Dr. Proton speaks to Duke through the monitors throughout the game).  All the while I was working on a half dozen other games for Apogee.  Bottom-line, it was a collaborative effort.

>>> Duke's character was pretty shallow in the first game...

Well yeah, that was a tech issue as much as anything.  But, with each game we were bring about more character traits and details.

"One of the most difficult tasks people can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games..." -- C.G. Jung
#68 by "jelly boyos"
2003-11-30 17:04:58
boyos@jelly-universe.com www.jelly-universe.com
WELL I DONT RECALL WHO POSTED THE TWO LUNAR ECLIPSE PICS I THINK IT WAS SGT HULKA OR HIS FRIEND BUT DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO TAG TWO SHITTY PHOTOS WITH THE COPYRIGHT THINGY?

WOOOW (C) WANG ENTERTAINMENT.

... SHEESH LAME!!!
#69 by Gunp01nt
2003-11-30 17:22:02
supersimon33@hotmail.com
Scott Miller:
*Duke Nukem creation story*


Interesting read, thanks.

"The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms."
#70 by Warren Marshall
2003-11-30 17:33:11
http://www.wantonhubris.com/
Thanks Scott.  I love hearing stories like that.  I wish I had gotten into game development back then ... I sometimes feel like a Johnny-come-lately.

Respawn Games
Open your mind, let the beatings begin.
#71 by E-ph0nk
2003-11-30 17:35:25
http://www.electrophonk.be
#69 Indeed..

A bit related: I've been replaying duke nukem 3D using the new windows ports that have been done recently, and to 3DRealms credit: I still enjoy it as mutch as I did when it was first released.
It's very limited gameplay compared to todays standards, butt ugly - but has a great action focus, is quite challenging and has great level design.

I hope that dnf will be able to recapture some of that feeling.

*sigh*
#72 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:05:29
#59 Your Friend
Let's see.... Capcom, Konami, Bunkasha, Koei, Sega, Tecmo, Namco, Kemco...

And all this time I thought they were Japanese.  I've been tricked!

but no mario...

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#73 by Charles
2003-11-30 18:10:38
www.bluh.org
This statement won't buy you a cup of cheap coffee.  No company can withstand the pressure from Wall Street to drop a losing venture.  As I said, had the Xbox not existed, MS's stock would be higher now because the Xbox has cost MS several pennies per share in earnings.  Investors will not tolerate this endlessly.  Soon, the pressure from Wall Street and MS's board of directors will force them to stop the bleeding.


Except that bleeding is a part of the console business.  Every manufacturer loses on hardware.  MS has the highest attachment rate of all the consoles.  Do you know what that means?  It means that as the number of xboxes (or xbox 2s) in homes increase, their return on it will increase as well.  The xbox is far from a failure... it's a money printing machine, the only catch is that they haven't finished building it.  MS also has another advantage that I think you may have missed, just because (I'm guessing here, but it seems likely) you haven't personally had any development experience with any of the consoles.  Call up any of the programmers who've worked on multiple platforms for any of the games for your company, and ask them what their preferred development console is.  If any of them don't say the xbox, I'll be truly surprised.  

Developer friendliness goes a long way, and MS is king of the hill when it comes to that.  Sale numbers be damned... when the people doing the actual work (IE: Not just sitting in an office and telling people what to do) prefer a certain platform, sooner or later that will have an effect.  When they can developer quicker and better for a given platform, that has direct economic benefits for a company.  

Yet, MS did much wrong with the xbox, this much is certainly true.  But guaranteed, they'll correct that for the next one.  They aren't stupid, they know how to deal in a market.  They aren't going to drop it.  It is far too successful and has far too much potential to drop.

Wow. I wish I knew The Whole Truth™ with 100% certainty, and, in addition to that, had The Talent™ to bring My Vision™ to The Teeming Uneducated Masses™ as capital-A Art using allegory and upskirt shots as my vehicle for understanding.

--crash
#74 by LPMiller
2003-11-30 18:19:51
lpmiller@gotapex.com http://www.gotapex.com
If anything, Sony is crusing to royally fuck up the PS3 and the PSP. The are making some Sega moves. I mean, the only way to compete with game boy is to a)not cost more, and b) have games little jonny wants to play. They are classicly fucking it up.

Of course, they fucked up the ps2 launch too, but pulled it out. So I never discount Sony. But I also think that for now, there is room for 3 players, and number 1 is always an open spot when the next generation comes out. And Xbox 2 has a damn good shot at it.

I believe I can fly......urk.
#75 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:20:10
...also re: xbox vs. gamecube.

I remember a few months ago that someone here (i think) posted figures that showed that XBox and GameCube were neck and neck. They're both losing equally to PS2.

Is that no longer (or ever) true?

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#76 by The_Joker
2003-11-30 18:23:44
http://www.jackinworld.com
#73 That is also a point I made back when the XBOX wasn't yet released. It is so easy to start developing for the XBOX because of the many similarities with PC development. It practically is a PC! And for developers releasing PC games, it's easy to port to XBOX, much much easier than a port to PS2. Why the fuck would a company like id want to port to PS2?! Think of how much detail a game like Doom 3 will lose on PS2. It's just not worth it. Plus MS's development suite and tools are far far more useful and userfriendly than anything Sony or Nintendo have.

And for the future, XBOX will offer so much more advantages for developers. Specially when XBOX integrates with .NET. But even in the near future XBOX Live offers something you can't find at another console.

You have to be very stupid to think Sony stands a chance.

Joker, Ph.D. Procedural Assholian Behaviour, Pedophilosopher
- All your ass are belong to my wang Jafd. Prepare to are penetration.
"I fart in THX." - Sgt_Hulka

PENETRATOR: Rise of the Wang Cuming "When it's done".
#77 by Warren Marshall
2003-11-30 18:24:59
http://www.wantonhubris.com/
and number 1 is always an open spot when the next generation comes out.

Eh, I don't really agree with that.  I'm sure the PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2/PS1, so that means they start the race sprinting.  If everyone was starting fresh, from scratch, I would agree that the top spot is wide open.  As it stands, however, the established markets still need to be broken somehow.  PS2 owners looking for a new console are naturally going to be drawn to the PS3 at first.  Unless Sony royally fucks it up, I don't think many are going to switch away.

Respawn Games
Open your mind, let the beatings begin.
#78 by Greg
2003-11-30 18:27:07
I believe that whoever wins the next round of console wars is going to depend on EA. If Microsoft and EA can make nice by that time (with EA supporting Live), Microsoft has a much greater chance of pulling out a victory.

We are OK in a misguided, sadist way.
We are OK in a disabled veteran's way.
We are OK.
#79 by Scott Miller
2003-11-30 18:28:22
scottmi11er@hotmail.com
>>> Yet, MS did much wrong with the xbox, this much is certainly true.  But guaranteed, they'll correct that for the next one.  They aren't stupid, they know how to deal in a market.  They aren't going to drop it.  It is far too successful and has far too much potential to drop. <<<

I hope you're right.  From 3DR's perspective, it helps us to have MS succeed, especially over Nintendo which has *always* being stupidly developer unfriendly, and too kid oriented (a big reason they've lost market share, as gamers are growing up).

"One of the most difficult tasks people can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games..." -- C.G. Jung
#80 by zimbardo_ugly
2003-11-30 18:31:29
zimbardo_ugly@hotmail.com
#78 by Greg

I believe that whoever wins the next round of console wars is going to depend on EA. If Microsoft and EA can make nice by that time (with EA supporting Live), Microsoft has a much greater chance of pulling out a victory.


I disagree with what you wrote. EA is currently milking its (many, admittedly) franchises with diminishing success. There's only so many times you can play a MoH expansion and only so many new coffee-tables for Sims you can find exciting. Not supporting Live is only going to hurt them in the end.

"Warez non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
#81 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:32:32
#80 zimbardo_ugly
#78 by Greg

I believe that whoever wins the next round of console wars is going to depend on EA. If Microsoft and EA can make nice by that time (with EA supporting Live), Microsoft has a much greater chance of pulling out a victory.


I disagree with what you wrote. EA is currently milking its (many, admittedly) franchises with diminishing success. There's only so many times you can play a MoH expansion and only so many new coffee-tables for Sims you can find exciting. Not supporting Live is only going to hurt them in the end.

I think he was talking more about NHL200x, NFL200x, NBA200x and so on and so forth.

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#82 by zimbardo_ugly
2003-11-30 18:33:02
zimbardo_ugly@hotmail.com
I read, I posted. What did I miss?

"Warez non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
#83 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:33:12
Because like it or not (non-hardcore) gamers still buy the newest NHL games almost every year.

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#84 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:33:52
#82 zimbardo_ugly
I read, I posted. What did I miss?

read. understand. post. choose any two.

i decided to only choose post.

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#85 by zimbardo_ugly
2003-11-30 18:34:28
zimbardo_ugly@hotmail.com
I forget to factor in NHL and such, being almost in Europe.

"Warez non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
#86 by Charles
2003-11-30 18:41:35
www.bluh.org
The PSP will be bad for the industry.  Really bad.

Wow. I wish I knew The Whole Truth™ with 100% certainty, and, in addition to that, had The Talent™ to bring My Vision™ to The Teeming Uneducated Masses™ as capital-A Art using allegory and upskirt shots as my vehicle for understanding.

--crash
#87 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 18:45:39
#86 Charles
The PSP will be bad for the industry.  Really bad.

why's that?

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#88 by Charles
2003-11-30 18:49:17
www.bluh.org
Because the GBA is the last platform where a few developers can make a quality game, on a small budget.  Sony is adding 3d to the mix, which basically means that even handheld games will now take a large team and a large budget to make.  The fact that games require large teams and budgets is exactly what is wrong with the industry as is.

Wow. I wish I knew The Whole Truth™ with 100% certainty, and, in addition to that, had The Talent™ to bring My Vision™ to The Teeming Uneducated Masses™ as capital-A Art using allegory and upskirt shots as my vehicle for understanding.

--crash
#89 by Jibble
2003-11-30 18:54:32
#79 Scott Miller
I hope you're right.  From 3DR's perspective, it helps us to have MS succeed, especially over Nintendo which has *always* being stupidly developer unfriendly, and too kid oriented (a big reason they've lost market share, as gamers are growing up).

That's like saying that a car manufacturer should only make luxury cars, because car owners are growing up.  More than a third of children aged five or six play video games regularly (according to the National Literacy Trust).  Nintendo is remembering that their profits will come from parents who see the bright colors and child themes and buy their games rather than snagging a copy of GTA3.  Their image is cute, cuddly, and child-safe.  It's also cheap.  It's a good image to have in a world where video games are demonized in the news on a daily basis.

The five percent nation of harmful free radicals
#90 by Squeaky
2003-11-30 19:06:49
Not to mention the fact that the 'kid-centric' nintendo games are actually fun! *gasp*

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#91 by BobJustBob
2003-11-30 19:12:39
Like Kirby Air Ride.

Dood.
#92 by Sgt Hulka
2003-11-30 19:12:49
#68 Jelly Boylover "WELL I DONT RECALL WHO POSTED THE TWO LUNAR ECLIPSE PICS I THINK IT WAS SGT HULKA OR HIS FRIEND BUT DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO TAG TWO SHITTY PHOTOS WITH THE COPYRIGHT THINGY?

WOOOW (C) WANG ENTERTAINMENT.

... SHEESH LAME!!! "



Wow. My first troll.  I'm honored.

#93 by E-ph0nk
2003-11-30 19:30:44
http://www.electrophonk.be
#90
And that a lot of gamers (such as myself) enjoy the nostalgia of these games...

I also fully agree with charles in #88.  I hope the psp fails - and fails hard, because portable games don't need to be complicated 3D multifeature things imo...

*sigh*
#94 by None-1a
2003-11-30 19:38:48
#73 by Charles
Except that bleeding is a part of the console business.  Every manufacturer loses on hardware.  MS has the highest attachment rate of all the consoles.  Do you know what that means?  It means that as the number of xboxes (or xbox 2s) in homes increase, their return on it will increase as well.


Or it simply means it hasn't gone over well with the more mainstream audiences who buy much less stuff. Those attachment rates will very likely drop like a rock if it ever does get into more homes. Not at all surprising it'd have more 'hardcore' audience with MS pushing Live in every ad and the lack of game series that make up the bulk of the mainstream's purchases.
#95 by Neo-Reaper
2003-11-30 19:45:35
neoreaper@excite.com http://octobermoon.homeip.net
A bit related: I've been replaying duke nukem 3D using the new windows ports that have been done recently, and to 3DRealms credit: I still enjoy it as mutch as I did when it was first released.

Wow, I never even realized they released the source.  Finally... I've been waiting for a windows port.

"Dream of me... and maybe, just maybe, this nightmare will end."
#96 by Jibble
2003-11-30 19:47:57
I'm still confused as to why the PSP has anything higher than 2 channel audio.

The five percent nation of harmful free radicals
#97 by Scott Miller
2003-11-30 19:53:41
scottmi11er@hotmail.com
>>> Not to mention the fact that the 'kid-centric' nintendo games are actually fun! *gasp*

Someone needs to tell buyers.

And while it's obviously true that the kid market is perpetually renewing itself, it's the adult market that's grown to domination .  Kids represent a range from 4 to 15-ish, that's 12 years.  The meat of the adult gamer range spans between 16 and 40-ish -- 24 years.  And the adult gamer population is the demographic with the money, and is constantly growing as we all age.

Nintendo is falling behind, even though they're aware of the problem and have tried to include more adult oriented games like RE Zero.

"One of the most difficult tasks people can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games..." -- C.G. Jung
#98 by Jibble
2003-11-30 20:08:20
#97 Scott Miller
>>> Not to mention the fact that the 'kid-centric' nintendo games are actually fun! *gasp*

Kids represent a range from 4 to 15-ish, that's 12 years.  The meat of the adult gamer range spans between 16 and 40-ish -- 24 years.  And the adult gamer population is the demographic with the money, and is constantly growing as we all age.

So then, gamers don't have kids?  I assure you that the 24 year demographic is the same demographic that's purchasing the games for the younger audience.  When's the last time you talked to a 12 year old with $50 on tap when a game comes out?

While it may be less profitable, that doesn't mean it's not profitable.  For Nintendo to start exclusively targeting a flooded market would be little but folly.  Better that they keep churning out record profits for their handheld than to waste money trying to get older gamers to make a change in their ingrained habits.

The five percent nation of harmful free radicals
#99 by Morn
2003-12-05 02:12:17
morn@planetcrap.com http://hmans.net
test

Who runs this place?!
#100 by BobJustBob
2003-12-05 02:12:47
FIRST POST since the outage.

Dood.
#101 by BobJustBob
2003-12-05 02:13:01
You suck Morn.

Dood.
#102 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:16:21
yay!

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#103 by Bailey
2003-12-05 02:17:16
You\'re still a moron, Bob.

re: Avatar Icon
#104 by Bailey
2003-12-05 02:17:41
Backslash? The site is broken!

re: Avatar Icon
#105 by LPMiller
2003-12-05 02:17:51
lpmiller@gotapex.com http://www.gotapex.com
Oh, thank the Morn. I was going into withdrawal.

I believe I can fly......urk.
#106 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:18:33
te\'st

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#107 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:18:41
the fuck?

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#108 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:19:18
ano\'ther te\'st

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#109 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:19:32
it\'s not an opencrap fuckup at least...

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#110 by Morn
2003-12-05 02:19:39
morn@planetcrap.com http://hmans.net
Wrong.

Who runs this place?!
#111 by Morn
2003-12-05 02:19:48
morn@planetcrap.com http://hmans.net
Arrrrrrgh

Who runs this place?!
#112 by JMCDaveL
2003-12-05 02:19:50
fuckers

--jmc
#113 by Morn
2003-12-05 02:20:29
morn@planetcrap.com http://hmans.net
It's fixed.

Who runs this place?!
#114 by Morn
2003-12-05 02:20:49
morn@planetcrap.com http://hmans.net
Avatar uploads will be broken for a while. Everything else should be working.

Who runs this place?!
#115 by Squeaky
2003-12-05 02:22:17
th'an'ks!

it's my onion and you can't change it!
DVDs
#116 by LPMiller
2003-12-05 02:24:16
lpmiller@gotapex.com http://www.gotapex.com
Looks like it's time for another paypal donation. Can't remember the last time I did it.

I believe I can fly......urk.
C O M M E N T S
Home » Topic: Scott is right...?

|«« - Previous Page - Next Page - »»|
P O S T   A   C O M M E N T

You need to be logged in to post a comment here. If you don't have an account yet, you can create one here. Registration is free.
C R A P T A G S
Simple formatting: [b]bold[/b], [i]italic[/i], [u]underline[/u]
Web Links: [url=www.mans.de]Cool Site[/url], [url]www.mans.de[/url]
Email Links: [email=some@email.com]Email me[/email], [email]some@email.com[/email]
Simple formatting: Quoted text: [quote]Yadda yadda[/quote]
Front Page (ATOM) • Submission Bin (4) • ArchivesUsersLoginCreate Account
You are currently not logged in.
There are currently 0 people browsing this site. [Details]